Monday, April 2, 2018

What is wrong with my trees today? Part 1

Can you tell what is wrong with my trees? 


Tree owner:
I water them and feed them and talk to them and they are still in decline. These trees are Columnar Blue Spruce that I planted a couple of years ago to use as wind and visual breaks. I called the Canyon County Extension office and asked for help. Members of the Turf/Tree Team corresponded with me and they came to my house for a site visit.

Turf/Tree Team members' site visit assessment:
The worst of the Columnar Blue Spruce trees was next to a propane tank. Thinking that this may have been the cause, we walked around the tree and noticed that the damage was all around the tree. So much for an easy explanation, blaming it on a propane leak. Some of the other trees were starting to show signs of the same problem. 


Upon examining several of the trees and talking to the owner about the trees, soil, watering and fertilizing habits and cultural habits. We took cuttings from some of the best spots on these trees to bring back to the office for further examination.




To be continued. The final outcome will be shared in Part 2.